Date: 11/14/19 7:52 am
From: Bob Archer <rabican1...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Sauvie Is. Harlan's Hawk-light morph?
Hi:

I see what you mean on this hawk.

snow white undersides
white streaks in head
color patterns on tail with black longitudinal streaks
seems the white mottling on upper side is concentrated on the scaps?

I reread:

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=http://fvaudubon.org/wp-content/uploads/Harlans-W-and-E-Red-tailed-Hawks.pdf&hl=en_US

Fun bird and excellent work noticing it. Light morph Harlan's are not the
norm but I have no argument against id.

Bob Archer

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 8:15 AM ed mcv <ed.mcvicker...> wrote:

> I photographed
> <https://www.flickr.com/photos/10665268@N04/albums/72157711761499842> an
> interesting Red-tailed Hawk that I think is a light-morph Harlan's along
> Reeder Rd. where the parking area begins for beach access north of
> Rentenaar Rd. Tuesday late afternoon. When I returned on to the spot 20
> min. later it had flown. It was perched on the power pole. I did not see
> it in the air.
>
> Since the bird did not fly, I did not see the opened wings or flight
> profile but the tail photo seems likely for Harlan's and the overall
> lightness of the head, face and breast lead me to think it's on the
> light-phase end of the spectrum.
>
> I am interested to know what others think and hope it can be relocated by
> some Emporer Goose chasers, which btw, was not seen Tuesday by anyone I
> spoke with....
>
> Best,
> Ed McVicker
> SW Portland