Date: 11/13/19 1:19 pm
From: David Moon <dmoon...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island 11-13-2019
Steve Walch and I co-lead a group of hardy Joppans into very cold and moderately fierce northwest wind on Plum Island today, but the sun helped create pockets of tolerable conditions that birds and birders shared happily (at least in the case of the latter). Our word of the day was "microclimate." Scoters and loons were in short supply, but it was high tide at Emerson Rocks. We had a visitor from Ohio who wanted her first Snow Bunting, three of which flew over HJellcat dike at the end of our program. Much time spent looking for recently sighted Tyranndids was not rewarded with Tyrannids, but the allure was there. Next week, Wednesday Morning Birding will be on Cape Ann, meeting in the Gloucester Crossing parking lot in Gloucester at 9:30 am , and leaving the Joppa flats Education Center Parking lot at 8:30 am.

Our list:
Canada Goose (3) - North Pool.
Mallard (2) - North Pool.
American Black Duck - common.
Common Eider (~ 20) - Emerson Rocks.
White-winged Scoter (~10) - parking lot #1 ocean and Emerson rocks.
Hooded Merganser (1) - North Pool from Hellcat.
Red-necked Grebe (2) - near Emerson Rocks.
Rock Pigeon
Greater Yellowlegs (3) - South Pannes.
Herring Gull - common.
Northern Gannet (~20) - Parking lot #7 ocean.
Double-crested Cormorant - common, migrating skeins.
Northern Harrier (4) - various.
Cooper's Hawk (1) - Hellcat.
Red-tailed Hawk (3) - various.
Downy Woodpecker (1) - South Field (near blind).
Black-capped Chickadee (~5) - South Field.
American Robin (~20) - various.
Northern Mockingbird (4) - various.
American Goldfinch (1) - Hellcat, chasing R-t Hawk.
Snow Bunting (3) - Hellcat flyover.
Chipping Sparrow (1) - roadside.
American Tree Sparrow (1) South Field.
Dark-eyed Junco (3) - near Middens.
White-crowned Sparrow (1) - juvenile roadside, North Marsh.
White-throated Sparrow (1) - Wardens.
Savannah Sparrow 91) - Wardens.
Song Sparrow (2) - Wardens.
Red-winged Blackbird (7) Hellcat dunes swamp.
Yellow-rumped Warbler (~10) - Hellcat parking lot.

David Moon
Sanctuary Director
he/him/his
Joppa Flats Education Center
Mass Audubon
1 Plum Island Turnpike
Newburyport, MA 01950
978-462-9998
www.massaudubon.org/joppaflats<http://www.massaudubon.org/joppaflats>

You can't be suspicious of a tree, or accuse a bird or a squirrel of subversion or challenge the ideology of a violet. - Hal Borland

Mass Audubon: Protecting the Nature of Massachusetts. Please consider investing in the work of Joppa Flats by becoming a member<https://secure2.convio.net/mas/site/Donation2;jsessionid=00000000.app274b?df_id=4645&4645.donation=form1&NONCE_TOKEN=87DF451D09EB33BEFB7998B242B18605>. Thank you!

Join us on Facebook!