Date: 11/12/19 10:16 pm
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Is this a hybrid in the making?
Hi Mike,

Yes, you've got a Western and Clark's Grebe couple. If these photos and
video were taken at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine, those species
are known to hybridize there. Outside of that location I'm not so sure and
I don't think it happens anywhere else in the county with any regularity,
but a mixed couple and hybrid chicks have been documented annually(?) at
the marsh for at least the last few years, particularly by local non-birder
photographers.