Date: 11/12/19 6:37 pm
From: James Pike <jimpike444...>
Subject: Re: [OrangeCountyBirding] Video of possible Eurasian X American GW Teal
Hi Chuck,

This could be a hybrid, but that can't definitively be ascertained from
your video. The pale lines that border the green face-patch do seem overly
bold for 'our' Green-winged Teal (carolinensis), and thus better for
Eurasian (crecca). However, this bird has yet to complete its molt (likely
the preformative molt of an immature male), and it isn't clear if the
incompleteness of the white vertical stripe visible on the fore flanks of
one side is related to that fact. Further, as is evident on this
individual, the lower scapulars and upper flanks feathers tend to be the
last feathers to molt, thus precluding the presence of a white horizontal
stripe typical of Eurasian. If this bird sticks around long enough to
complete its molt, we'll eventually be able to determine its status.

Jim Pike
HB