Date: 11/12/19 10:35 am
From: larspernorgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Costa's Hummingbird in Newport
12th and Fall, just a block south of where the Orchard Oriole was reported a month ago. I initially saw the bird(female) perched on top of a salmon berry in full sunlight about 3:30 yesterday. She had folded primary tips at least equal to the end of her tail. She was facing away from me , so l couldn't see her throat, or a satisfactory look at the face. She flew across Fall Street and when she returned began flycatching among the alder and pine saplings in the excavation site for a potential house. Alder leaves often obscured parts of her, but while briefly perched l noted the face pattern quite well--a cool gray auricular patch, more vertical than horizontal, clearly separated both above and behind by a white stripe. Before l got a more extended study she flew back across Fall Street at which point l noticed a sprawling hillside garden, replete with semi feral Fuscia patch, still in flower.     There were three hummers at once, none of them eager to share. They dispersed after which l could only see one, perched in the heavy shade of a shore pine. The sun soon set behind the hill a few house lots to the west and l moved to other places still in the sun. LarsSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

Join us on Facebook!