Date: 11/11/19 11:57 pm
From: Josiah Clark <josiah.clark621...>
Subject: [SFBirds] More Crossbills west SF
I had red crossbills again in two separate spots today in the city including about 15 at 23rd in Geary behind the grocery outlet over street. They seem to have come from a big Monterey Pine tree there. The more deep, throaty calls sounded like the local ones that used to breed in the city. Along with the red-breasted nuthatches, I have to wonder if this winter eruption of crossbills is due to a pine nut failure elsewhere in their range.
A few more Red Crossbills were in the cypress trees right by Kezar Stadium. Enjoyed a close visit from a Townsend’s warbler today in the yard but generally many fewer birds in the yard this winter for me.
Good birding
-Josiah Clark
-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>