Date: 11/11/19 8:06 pm
From: maliadances via Groups.Io <maliadances=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Rough-legged Hawk - Cowell-Purissima Coastal trail
Chris and I did a little Big Ride by bike today from home to various locations. During a stop at Wavecrest at the raptor managed field just north of the ball field and south of Seymour Avenue, we spotted the recently reported FERRUGINOUS HAWK. It was viewed from Seymour St., first sitting on a fence, then spotted again sitting in the field, then it took flight where we got great looks at it as it flew right overhead. This is Conservation Land and there are “No Trespassing” signs posted, so please do not walk into the field.

We birded our way south sticking to the Coastal Tail. Where the Coastal Trail picks up at the end of Redondo Beach Rd, one can continue public access along the Coastal Trail as it moves through the Half Moon Bay Golf Course. You go through a gate as you enter the Golf Course property, but be sure you read the sign and the hours, and time your trip, as the gate may get locked in the evening.

From there we followed trails along the blufftop to the Cowell Ranch Beach trails and continued on further south all the way to Cowell-Purissima Coastal trail.

It was here that we spotted another FERRUGINOUS HAWK. While trying to catch up the the 2 nd Ferugie to get photos, I spotted a ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK at the south end of the trail system close to the parking lot for Cowell-Purissima Coastal trail (only open weekends and holidays)

Some recent reports. A Rough-legged Hawk was reported on eBird on 10/30 flying over Hwy 1 heading Southeast of Bay City Flowers. Another eBird report from 11/6 reported a Rough-legged Hawk at the Cowell Ranch Beach trails area.

We watched the Rough-legged Hawk circling as it drifted south and east over HWY 1 towards the south end of the hills behind Bob’s Produce. Photos of RL Hawk here:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S61374435

Malia DeFelice and Chris Hayward