Date: 11/11/19 5:00 pm
From: Richard Gregg <greggra...>
Subject: Bird of Note: Bald Eagle
A Bald Eagle has been hanging around the neighborhood. Observed one at the house in Belle on the 9th and at the Marmet Locks, (a couple of miles away), on the 10th and 11th.

I managed to get some photos for today's sighting, Veteran’s Day.
There was also an adult and an immature Red-tailed Haw along with a Sharp-shinned/Cooper’s Hawk.
No wonder I haven’t been seeing many birds there.
A couple of beaver ponds have been added too.

Marmet Lock and Dam, Kanawha, West Virginia, US
Nov 11, 2019 9:45 AM - 1:35 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.73 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Mostly cloudy, 55%, but with very thin clouds so it was sunny. Around 40F. Kanawha River had normal level in the Winfield Pool. Distance is unique for an out and back trip. Observation was from the Belle side of the river.
12 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 10
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) (Columba livia (Feral Pigeon)) 2
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias) 3 Two were on the Lock walls, the other on the channel diversion island near the far side of the river.
Sharp-shinned/Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter striatus/cooperii) 1
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) 1
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis) 2 I spooked the adult and it carried something in its talons across the river. The immature one flew about 20-feet over my head about an hour later.
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 5
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 2
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 10
Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos) 1
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum) 4
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 6
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S61377544 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S61377544>