Date: 11/11/19 2:56 pm
From: Larry & Penny Alden <overlook...>
Subject: [hmbirds] Tomhannock Reservoir and Vicinity - 11/11/19
I continued my annual Veterans' Day trip circumnavigating Tomhannock
Reservoir, this time with Jackie Bogardus accompanying me (thanks, Jackie!).
The traditional route has two inland excursions on Nortonville and
Tomhannock-Johnsonville roads [Northern Turnpike] solely for the purpose of
padding the list. Searching between 8:30 and 3:00 today, we found 49
species. Weather was cloudy with light wind and temperatures ranging from
37 F, dropping to 34 F. For the second straight year, water levels were
very high, so there were no mudflats. Fortunately, the rain/snow held off
for our time afield.

Highlights included 2 Common Loons (one of which we heard calling across the
water), 5 Pied-billed Grebes (3 in one group), 2 Tree Swallows over the
water at the north end of the reservoir, and a Field Sparrow off Nortonville
Road, where we also got an Eastern Screech-Owl (new to the count!)
unexpectedly responding to an owl recording.

I have species records for 20 of the last 21 years (trip totals for all 21)
and I know I've done this count for at least five years before that. Adding
Eastern Screech-Owl brings the 20-year cumulative list to 104 species.

Here's today's list of 49 species (To add to the ignominy of getting an
un-round number of species this year, upon meeting back at our car-pooling
location at the Brunswick Walmart, we had a Fish Crow on a light pole, alas,
too far out of the territory to even consider trying to count as number 50.

Canada Goose

American Black Duck

Mallard

American Green-winged Teal

Ring-necked Duck

Bufflehead

Common Goldeneye

Hooded Merganser

Common Merganser

Ruddy Duck

Common Loon

Pied-billed Grebe (6th time)

Double-crested Cormorant

Great Blue Heron

Bald Eagle

Northern Harrier

Cooper's Hawk

Red-tailed Hawk

Ring-billed Gull

Herring Gull

Rock Pigeon

Mourning Dove

Belted Kingfisher

Eastern Screech-Owl

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker

Hairy Woodpecker

Pileated Woodpecker

Blue Jay

American Crow

Tree Swallow (5th time, found the last 3 years - becoming an expected
species)

Black-capped Chickadee

Tufted Titmouse

White-breasted Nuthatch

Eastern Bluebird

American Robin

Northern Mockingbird

European Starling

American Tree Sparrow

Field Sparrow (3rd time)

Song Sparrow

White-throated Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)

Northern Cardinal

Red-winged Blackbird

Brown-headed Cowbird

House Finch

American Goldfinch

House Sparrow

Totals for past year's 11/11 counts are as follows:

2018 - 50

2017 - 51

2016 - 43

2015 - 49