Date: 11/11/19 2:00 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory (11 Nov 2019) 0 Raptors
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory
Peterborough, New Hampshire, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 11, 2019

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 0 13 268
Osprey 0 0 171
Bald Eagle 0 27 171
Northern Harrier 0 2 54
Sharp-shinned Hawk 0 12 1020
Cooper's Hawk 0 6 105
Northern Goshawk 0 3 9
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 79 170
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 7840
Red-tailed Hawk 0 97 160
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 1 4
American Kestrel 0 0 185
Merlin 0 2 64
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 64
Unknown Accipiter 0 1 15
Unknown Buteo 0 2 14
Unknown Falcon 0 1 4
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 3 95

Total: 0 249 10413

Observation start time: 08:30:00
Observation end time: 14:30:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Levi Burford

Observers: Eric Mueller

Visitors:
34 visitors came to the hawk watch today. Not bad for a cloudy day. Many
said they were taking advantage of the auto road being open for the last
day this year.

Weather:
Lightly raining when I got up there, the clouds moderated and stayed
steadfast through the day. The temperature rose from freezing to 40 and
inched down again. I pulled the plug at 2:30pm when the temperature started
to dip while the precipitation was moving in.

Raptor Observations:
Not a good day for migration. No sun or wind to bring any lift or help in
getting south.

Non-raptor Observations:
We got eyes on the Fox Sparrow from the platform today. I love those
sparrows! The large, red sparrow was associating with the 60 or so Juncos
that were traveling around in the vicinity of the platform. Also heard a
distant Pine Siskin this morning several times. In the distance I caught 9
finches descending to the ridge of North Pack. I suspect Purple Finches but
am not confident.

Predictions:
Some mixed forecasts for tomorrow. Looks like there might be no count in
the morning at least but I might be hiking up for the afternoon.

At this point the auto road is closed for the season. If you come, you'll
want to plan on walking up. There are two trails, the Wapack Trail and the
Marion Davis Trail, as well as the auto road. All are nice but the auto
road is the fastest way up. Looking at the forecast there might be several
days that are worth walking up!
Report submitted by Levi Burford (<lbburford...>)
Pack Monadnock Raptor Migration Observatory information may be found at:
www.nhaudubon.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=320