Date: 11/11/19 11:49 am
From: Baxter Beamer via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] LIMPKIN at Totier Creek Reservoir, Albemarle County
Hi All,

Yesterday my Spanish teacher emailed me with photos of a bird he saw while
kayaking several weeks ago at Totier Creek Park near Scottsville. The bird
turned out to be a LIMPKIN, a 4th state record and the first record for
Albemarle county and the vicinity.

Conor Farrell and my brother Tucker Beamer are currently watching the bird.
Apparently the bird has been feeding along the lakeshore just to the right
of the parking area. The trail system circles the lake, so there should be
lots of possible vantage points to scan for the bird even if it moves from
this area.

Although the bird is apparently confiding, it is imperative that birders
maintain distance and respect the bird due to the harsh conditions it is
currently experiencing. A bird from the tropics will likely not fare well
in the coming week's cold fronts, and any additional stress from birders
could potentially be very harmful.

I will be there bright and early tomorrow morning to try for the bird for
anyone who wants to join me. Feel free to contact me if you have any more
questions.

Good birding to all,

Baxter Beamer
Charlottesville, VA