Date: 11/11/19 9:21 am
From: Edge Wade <edgew...>
Subject: Birding sites for November and early December
Brrrrrr! As Jean Leonatti just posted, it is snowing and blowing here in Columbia. I haven't had a hummingbird, but the birds have definitely rediscovered my feeders after days of little action. It's the kind of day that makes you want to pour another cup and curl up with a book.

It's also the kind of day to take stock of how we're doing with the CACHE/SPARKS agreement obligations. For those who are unfamiliar with the acronyms and the purpose, CACHE is the Conservation Areas Checklist project with MDC and SPARKS is the similar arrangement with DNR State Parks. These are formal agreements between the agencies and the Missouri Birding Society (formerly ASM) to increase our knowledge of bird occurrence on our public lands.

Only eBird reports filed by MBS members contribute to the agreement fulfillment requirements. If you are not a member, please consider joining (after all, MBS is the sponsor of the listserv you are enjoying at this moment). To learn more about the organization and/or join go to http://www.mobirds.org/ASM/Membership.aspx

MBS earns dollars by providing services to fulfill the agreements. These dollars are used to support partnership activities in conservation and education. Each agreement period, usually one year, includes focus sites--sites that we are to make a special effort to visit and add to the database with reports on eBird.

The list of the current sites is below. If the name is capitalized, 0 or 1 visit has been made by a MBS member since the beginning of the agreement period (July 1). Please make an effort to bird one or more of these sites, especially one with no or only one visit in the last four months. Some of the conservation areas may be closed or have restricted areas due to waterfowl hunting; state parks all remain open unless a special hunt is scheduled.

If you don't know where a site or county is, you can go to eBird and search by name of hotspot or by county name and a map will appear.

Apple Creek CA, Cape Girardeau Co.
BIG CREEK CA, Adair Co.
Bismarck CA, Washington, Iron and St. Francis counties
CANEY MOUNTAIN CA, Ozark Co.
Duck Creek CA, Bollinger, Stoddard and Wayne counties
Kendzora CA, Buchanan and Platte counties
MERAMEC CA, Franklin Co.
Paintbrush Prairie CA, Pettis Co.
Poague CA, Henry Co.
SUNKLANDS CA, Shannon Co.
ROCKY CREEK CA, Shannon Co.
Donaldson Point CA, New Madrid Co.
Ten Mile Pond CA, Mississippi Co.
Black Island CA, Pemiscot Co.
Seven Island CA, Mississippi Co.
Daniel Boone CA, Warren Co.
Danville CA, Montgomery Co.
Taberville Prairie CA, St. Clair Co.
WAH'KON-TAH Prairie CA, Cedar and St. Clair counties
MONEGAW Prairie CA, Cedar Co.
LINSCOMB Wildlife Area, St. Clair Co.

Cuivre River SP, Lincoln Co.
Ha Ha Tonka SP, Camden Co.
HAWN SP, Ste. Genevieve Co.
JOHNSON'S SHUT-INS SP, Reynolds Co.
Knob Noster SP, Johnson Co.
Long Branch SP, Macon Co.
Meramec SP, Franklin Co.
Pershing SP, Linn Co.
Wakonda SP, Lewis Co.
Weston Bend SP, Platte Co.

Bodacious birding to all,

Edge Wade
MBS Conservation Partnership Coordinator
<edgew...>

ABA Birding Code of Ethics
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html

Join us on Facebook!