Date: 11/11/19 5:09 am
From: DAVID KOCH <0000012d74227426-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Dickcissel, titmice, etc., Koch property, Northampton County
A walk through our fields mid-morning  was relatively quiet but produced an adult female dickcissel in the southeast corner of the bottom fields. I've had dickcissels here many times during fall migration but not every year. Sparrows are what you'd expect and now that it's turning cold they're starting to come into millet spreads late in the day like they always do in the winter. There's a banded whitethroat, which is interesting because the last time a bander was here was 4 years ago. Also seen yesterday were three ruby-crowned kinglets in different parts of the property.  I was expecting golden-crowned's but that hasn't as yet occurred. And yellow-bellied sapsuckers are here at various places just about every day. As I was watching one of the kinglets a sapsucker just appeared on the other side of the tree, seemingly having been there all along although I hadn't seen it. And then a female northern harrier flew just a few feet above the tree and the sapsucker disappeared but the kinglet ignored it. White-breasted nuthatches, chickadees, and titmice are now regular visitors to feeders. A recent interaction between a titmouse and chickadee made me laugh. The chickadee took a black oil sunflower seed and flew to a branch to eat it. But just as it was about to put its head down to crack it open a titmouse flew in, grabbed the seed, and flew away.  And robins are all over the place.

Arlene Koch Easton, PA Northampton County <davilene...>

Join us on Facebook!