Date: 11/11/19 2:04 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (10 Nov 2019) 259 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 259 2844 5972

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Adam Bartles, Carol Majors, Ellen Nunn, Mike Gardner

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (14): Adam Bartles, Mike Gardner, Laureen Eick-Benson, Carol
Majors, Doug Hershey, Jeanne Macarro, Fran Ansbro, Carl Mease, Kris
Benarcik, Ellen Nunn, Andy Stender, Dawn Hopkins, Tony Angelucci
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny (30-75% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 30,00000-19,800 ft.,
Visibility - 100 miles, Temps 31 - 54F, Winds SSW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 6-Red-tailed Hawk,
and numerous Black (50) and Turkey Vultures (65).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-1; 4 yr.-_; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On November 7,
I sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
Warm coffee was very necessary this cold day as I led the weekly bird walk
at Bucktoe. I decided to stay along the meadow edges, hoping for a late
migrant warbler or different sparrows, while watching for flyover hawks and
waterfowl. 10 participants saw 46 species during our 3 mile walk, which
was highlighted by Great Black-backed Gulls, Herring Gull, Ring-billed
Gull, Cooper’s Hawk, Bald Eagle, Red-shouldered Hawks, Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Brown Creeper, Hermit Thrush, Chipping
Sparrows, lots of Fox Sparrows, and White-crowned Sparrows.
<BR><BR>
Later, at the hawk watch there was a steady movement of Black Vultures,
Turkey Vultures, Red-shouldered Hawks, and Red-tailed Hawks.
<BR><BR>
Ellen came out with her friend Andy. Andy is truly amazing. He loves
experiencing nature; the smell, the feel of it all and the journey of his
thoughts. Andy experiences nature in his mind. You “see” Andy is
totally blind and totally deaf. Think about it. Would you - could you -
love nature if such was the case for you? I could not. Perhaps I could if
I were one of the two, but not both; certainly not blind. Yet, Andy’s
joyous spirit is unbelievable. How do you do it, Andy?? Also amazing is
Ellen’s work in communicating with Andy and helping him enjoy these parts
of his life. You should both be incredibly proud.
<BR><BR>
After the hawk watch completed for the day, I checked New Garden WTP
[private] to see how “our” Barn Swallow is fairing. There were
Ring-necked Ducks, Ruddy Ducks, Northern Shovelers, Bufflehead, Lesser
Scaup, Ring-billed Gulls, and a Palm Warbler. There was no sighting of the
swallow. I fear it did not survive the bitter cold.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Ring-billed Gull, Herring Gull, Great Black-backed Gulls, Yellow-bellied
Sapsucker, Golden-crowned Kinglets, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Brown Creeper,
Hermit Thrush, Chipping Sparrows, Fox Sparrows, and White-crowned
Sparrows.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0). Dragonflies (0). Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.78; Steps:
15,913; Floors: 18.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 49; this season:
140
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):”
Herring Gull and Great Black-backed Gull.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks mostly cloudy, with the approach of another cold
front.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: