Date: 11/10/19 11:20 am
From: Shilo McDonald <shilocm...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Marsh Wren, Gloucester, 11-4-19
Massbird,I am a little late posting this, but I do think it's something you would enjoy. So, please pardon the tardiness. My birding reports require an average time of 4 hours to compile. And this one took closer to 8.
But, that's only because this eBird report is packed with action and adventure! Beauty and intrigue!
Sure, you may have seen a Western Kingbird before, but have you ever listened to one? Using the built in Voice Memo app on my iPhone, I recorded it!
eBird Report:https://ebird.org/checklist/S61329924
[text only report below signature]
Mr. Shilo McDonald, Lynn, MAMass Audubon, Brookline Bird Club and Essex County Ornithological Club memberShiloCM at yahoo dot com
Eastern Point--General Area, Essex, Massachusetts, US
Nov 4, 2019 8:03 AM - 9:26 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.26 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:    Birded Eastern Point at dusk yesterday and dipped on the Western Kingbird. The best I saw was what I believed to be the bird, fly into a tree. So, this morning - I went back to that same tree. And what'd'ya know? I found the Western Kingbird! And what a beautiful bird it is!
33 species (+3 other taxa)

Mallard  11    On the rocky beach.
Common Eider  12    Near the dock. And along the edges of the jetty.
Surf/Black Scoter  5    In the ocean, by the docked boats.
Bufflehead  4    In the ocean, near the docked boats.
Mourning Dove  3
Ring-billed Gull  3
Herring Gull  7
Great Black-backed Gull  5
gull sp.  28    On the jetty. Didn't ID them.
Double-crested Cormorant  5    Resting on the dock.
Turkey Vulture  1    Soaring by, while en route to arrival at Eastern Point.
Cooper's Hawk  1    Perched in a tree on the edge of the field. Totally ignoring the American Crows harassing him.
Red-tailed Hawk  1    Flying in the distance.
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1    Heard only. Mew call. While walking through the woods.
Downy Woodpecker  1    Heard only. While walking through the woods.
Northern Flicker  1    Heard only. Kyeer call.
Western Kingbird  1    Seen in the field. Exact same spot I thought I'd seen it the night before. Photographed and audio recorded. What a beautiful bird!
Blue Jay  3    Seen and heard. Pumphandle and jeer calls.
American Crow  6    While harassing a Cooper's Hawk, one of the crows made an unusual vocalization. Audio recorded.
Black-capped Chickadee  3    Seen and heard.
White-breasted Nuthatch  1    Heard only. While walking through the woods. Yank call.
Marsh Wren  1    Seen and heard. In the reeds of the marsh. Photographed.
Carolina Wren  2    Seen and heard. In a tree on the edge of the field. And in a tree along the road.
European Starling  125    Impressive looking flock. Foraging in the trees and on the ground.
Gray Catbird  1    Heard only. Whining.
Northern Mockingbird  1    Perched on a power line, road side.
American Robin  3    Seen and heard.
House Sparrow  5    All in a single bush bordering a yard.
House Finch  8    Seen and heard. Flew into a tree by driveway to the light house.
American Goldfinch  3    Heard only. Potato chip call.
Dark-eyed Junco  2    Foraging on the ground on the side of the road.
Song Sparrow  3    Seen and heard. One was foraging alongside Dark-eyed Juncos.
Eastern Towhee  1    Heard only. Towheeee call.
sparrow sp.  1    Little Brown Job.
Yellow-rumped Warbler  1    Seen and heard. Chwit call.
Northern Cardinal  2    Seen and heard. Psit call.

Join us on Facebook!