Date: 11/9/19 1:55 pm
From: Glennah Trochet <trochetj...>
Subject: [centralvalleybirds] today's River Walk survey
Dear Birders,

I joined Jim Rowoth and his entourage on the east footing of the bridge
behind the Cosumnes River Preserve Visitor Center this morning after
covering the TNC Barn ponds first thing. The outing was quite decent.
Highlights around the ponds include a hybrid blue-winged teal x northern
shoveler drake (likely the same bird seen last season), a hybrid American
green-winged teal x common teal drake and two short-eared owls. The owl
that I found about 6:15 a.m. would have been visible from Desmond Road
about 150 meters west of the gate at 6500 Desmond. The dawn waterfowl and
crane spectacle would also have been great from Desmond Road this morning.

The birding on the trail was also pretty good. Highlights include Cassin's
vireo, golden-crowned kinglet, purple finch, tricolored blackbird,
black-throated gray warbler and Townsend's warbler.

Best,
John Trochet
Sacramento