Date: 11/9/19 1:04 pm
From: Joe Coleman via VA-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [VA-bird] Banshee Reeks (Lo Co) Bird Walk 11/9 Results
Nine people showed up for this morning's regular monthly bird walk at the
Banshee Reeks Nature Preserve in central Loudoun County. In spite of a
starting temp of 22, it was a very pleasant and productive morning of
birding (38 species) due to the extensive sun and lack of wind.

While there were few birds of prey at first, once it warmed up a bit and
some thermals had developed we saw two adult Bald Eagles soaring together
and a juvenile Bald Eagle near a Red-tailed Hawk along with five
Red-shouldered Hawks.

Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers were around in nice numbers including two dull
hatch-year birds and three adults, both males and females. Both kinglets,
especially Golden-crowned, were well-seen. A Hermit Thrush was seen by only
one participant but another was heard by several of us.. There were numerous
Cedar Waxwings eating fox grapes and in one spot, cherries.

All in all it was a very pleasant morning of birding in Virginia's northern
piedmont with the temperature rising to a balmy 38 by the time we'd
finished.

For a complete list of all the birds observed at Banshee Reeks today see the
eBird report below.

The regular monthly free bird walk (every 2nd Sat) at the Banshee Reeks
Nature preserve is sponsored by the Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy
(www.loudounwildlife.org <http://www.loudounwildlife.org> ) & the Friends of
Banshee Reeks (www.bansheereeksnp.org <http://www.bansheereeksnp.org> );
information on both and their upcoming events can be found on their
websites. You can also join us for our regular (every 4th Sat except
December) at the Blue Ridge Center for Environmental Stewardship in
northwestern Loudoun County near Harper's Ferry and our regular third Sunday
walk (except December) at Bles Park.

Joe Coleman and Jane Yocom

Banshee Reeks Nature Preserve, Loudoun, Virginia, US Nov 9, 2019 7:49 AM -
10:44 AM

Protocol: Traveling

2.2 mile(s)

38 species (+1 other taxa)