Date: 11/9/19 6:52 am
From: Thor Manson <thormanson...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Proctor Rd/Elephant Head Trail Birding
Hi Birders: Yesterday, I went for a hike/walk with Charlie Trapani and our spouses starting from the Proctor Rd. parking lot in Madera Canyon heading towards the well known Santa Rita Mtns. landmark, Elephant Head, near Amado.
It was not particularly birdy, but we did run into an interesting mixed flock around the 3 mile mark, ( after passing through the gate into the cattle area ). In that flock were Rufous winged, Chipping and Black chinned Sparrows; ( the latter a bird I don't see all that often around this area ). Also in the flock were Black capped Gnatcatcher, Hutton's Vireo Northern Cardinal, and Verdin. Not sure they were all part of the same mixed flock, but they were all seen in the same area. Lots of good habitat along this route.
For those not familiar with the hike, from the Proctor Road parking lot, you head south along the full length of Proctor Road, and then continue through a somewhat marked path towards Elephant Head. The trail is mostly through Mesquite habitat, so, unless you want your body to have an application of " Arizona Pinstriping ", a good idea is to not wear shorts; ( I basically shredded a shirt on the hike ). The trail, in part, is also often overgrown with grass but is still obvious. Having said that, we turned around at around the 4 mile mark as the trail became less discernible. Not much in the way of elevation change along the way. Cheers, Thor