Date: 11/8/19 10:52 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (08 Nov 2019) 201 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 201 2445 5573

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Depalma, Ellen Nunn, Gerry Teig, Mary Behal

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (5): Mary Behal, Gerry Teig, Carol DePalma, Ellen Nunn
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Sunny (25% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 34 - 44F, Winds NW @ 10 - 20 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 6-Red-tailed Hawk,
and numerous Black (50) and Turkey Vultures (60).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-_; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-2; adult-10
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On November 7,
I sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
Activity was brisk at the hawk watch this morning, the birds taking
advantage of the great conditions to migrate. Red-tailed Hawks,
Red-shouldered Hawks, Bald Eagles and a steady stream of Vultures kept us
busy. Higher up, Canada Geese were migrating. As the day lengthened,
activity slowed down considerably.
<BR><BR>
Carol was out with homemade soup, as was Ellen. Thanks guys! I haven’t
had this much soup in years! Gerry & Mary kept a steady eye on the simply
perfect sky, filled with white billowy clouds.
<BR><BR>
I stopped at New Garden WTP [private] after the watch, where I found
Ring-necked Ducks, Northern Shoveler, Bufflehead, Ruddy Ducks, Killdeer,
and a very late and surprising Barn Swallow sluggishly feeding on insects
low on the water of one of the pools.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
COMMON RAVEN, Horned Larks, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Ruby-crowned Kinglets,
and White-crowned Sparrows.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0). Dragonflies (0). Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.53; Steps:
15,326; Floors: 30.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 41; this season:
137
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):”
none.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks partly sunny with light winds, but COLD!
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek