Date: 11/8/19 5:18 pm
From: Ben S <benrmnp...>
Subject: [cobirds] Likely Yellow-billed Loon, Cherry Creek SP (Arapahoe)
Hi all,
This afternoon around 4 PM, I saw a Mew Gull and possible Yellow-billed
Loon from Cherry Creek's Lake Loop. The Mew Gull was swimming about halfway
between the east shades and lake loop. It was at least a fourth mile from
where I was standing, hence the quality of the photo. It was a small larus
gull, its mantle was slightly darker than a Ring-billed Gull, its head was
dainty and rounded, and it had a tiny and stubby bill. The loon was similar
in size and shape to a Common Loon, including a very large bill. However,
this bird had pale yellowish bill, no dark anywhere on the bill visible. It
had a pale face, with no distinct eyering. Also, its back and neck was pale
for a loon, almost brownish. It was swimming near the Mew Gull not too far
from the east shades, but swam south to the south central part of the
reservoir. I have several photos of this bird. I think they show the field
marks, even though they are blurry. Please take a look at my ebird
checklist, as I am having trouble uploading photos here. Any feedback on
the Mew Gull or Yellow-billed Loon is appreciated. Here is my ebird
checklist where photos can be seen : https://ebird.org/checklist/S61282012.

Ben Sampson
Centennial, CO