Date: 11/8/19 4:20 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (08 Nov 2019) 1268 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 1268 4046 122743

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess, Don Sherwood, Patrick Mulawa,
Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
The north winds brought out some visitors today. Will and his sister made
the trip from Ann arbor. Dee, Marty and Johannes made the trip. Thanks to
all for their help in locating the very high birds.

Weather:
The second day of NW winds proved more fruitful for our site. As the high
pressure settled into the area and the winds died down and shifted to a
more westerly line it lacked the punch that pushed our prey away from us
yesterday. The barometer did drop somewhat but it started from a high
30.4". The sunlit high blue sky was tempered somewhat by the formation of
contrail clouds from the passing jets. A cold day but with a lot less
malice than yesterday.

Raptor Observations:
Turkey vultures made a comeback today with 837 birds, a nice bounce-back
from yesterday. The red-tails were on the move today but as the day
progressed and the wind diminished they took a very high line. 42
red-shoulders joined them in the buteo class. We were still light on
sharpies with only 14 with 1 Cooper's hawk along for the ride. 2 peregrine
falcons were observed, including one that was eating his catch in flight. 3
harriers were spotted. Our birds of the day were 2 rough-legged hawks, one
light morph and a beautiful black dark morph. Joining them on the most
desirable list was 1 golden eagle seen in the afternoon.

Non-raptor Observations:
The tundra swans are passing overhead and today we saw a line of snow geese
wandering around the sky looking for the exit sign apparently. Bonaparte's
gulls are still here and although we thought the Forster's terns may have
left, one made a late appearance.

Predictions:
The technical lines are diverging tomorrow. Wind will be increasing from
the SW and the barometer will be falling. Neither of these factors is
usually good for our site. I would expect moderate movement at best and
more likely less than that. It will be another cold day with plenty of
wind.
Report submitted by Andrew Sturgess (<ajyes72...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285
Count data submitted via Dunkadoo - Project info at:
https://dunkadoo.org/explore/detroit-river-international-wildlife-refuge/detroit-river-hawk-watch-fall-2019

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<33d1ceb9faf3c0ac74eef69b18a326a8...>

Join us on Facebook!