Date: 11/8/19 4:01 pm
From: Peter Fissel <pfissel...>
Subject: [wisb] Madison lakes condition
Yes, the big lakes in Madison should be open for several more weeks, barring the continuation of these January temps.   I saw at least two Common Loons on the lake side of the John Nolan causeway on the way to work this morning.  One was in winter plumage, one still largely in breeding plumage.  Doubtless there were more.
Mendota rarely freezes before the Madison CBC, which this year will be on the first day of the count period, Dec. 14 (as I'm sure will be most of the other "big" counts.)

I had already replied to Jennifer's inquiry about Goose Pond in Columbia County.  I had an email from Nolan Pope earlier today, who said it was, indeed, frozen.  He said Mark Martin had counted 600 Tundra Swans on the ice this morning.
Peter Fissel
Madison, WI