Date: 11/8/19 12:11 pm
From: Terry Hill <terrynjohn...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Highlights of Nov. 8 Bolsa Chica Monthly Survey
Highlights of our November 8 monthly bird survey at Bolsa Chica included 59 Brants, 986 American Wigeon (!!), 2 Bonaparte’s Gulls, 3 Reddish Egrets, 1 SNOW GOOSE, 1 ROCK WREN, 1 YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON, 1 HOODED MERGANSER, and 1 COMMON GOLDENEYE.   The Snow Goose was in the Wintersburg Channel above the pedestrian bridge, and the Hooded Merganser and Common Goldeneye were in the channel below the bridge, next to the pocket pond.  The Rock Wren was to the right of the loop trail on the rocks as a side trail turns up toward the channel (I think--on the rocks on the right side of the loop trail for sure).  The YCNH was an adult sitting in the “heron” bush along PCH just past the tide gates.  We have been getting very high numbers of American Wigeon the past two years, and it looks like even more are present this year.
--
Terry Hill
Huntington Beach