Date: 11/8/19 11:01 am
From: Jacque Brown <bluebird2...>
Subject: A week late.
Karen Garrett and I went to Holla Bend on Nov 1 and were not disappointed with our Whooping Crane experience that day. Karen had been down there a few weeks before this to see the crane.

I lived in the Houston,TX area for 25 years and made it to Aransas wildlife refuge a total of one time when I lived there, probably in the mid-90’s, the 2 Cranes were a good football field or two away that day and I still felt lucky to have seen them.

This one was more the "across the back yard and a half' distance. She is a real beauty.

Other notables for the afternoon were 2 Avocets, 15 No.Shovelers, 1 Winter Wren, 420 plus Cormorants ( we never saw what was flushing them all out of the area but they came out of the trees in a steady stream) That in itself was pretty awesome. Also 5 American Widgeons. They would fly upriver and float down, we saw them do this several times, fly up river and float down. 1 No.Harrier, 2 White-throated and 2 White-crowned Sparrows, Ring-billed Gulls, 40 Vultures, 40 Pelicans, and 35 Geese, unidentified but probably White-fronted, 2 Red-tailed Hawk, 2 Red-shouldered Hawk, 2 Pied-billed grebes, E Phoebe, 4 Great Blue Heron, Amer. Crows, Fish Crows, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 2 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, Tree Swallows, Carolina Wren, Meadowlarks, Mockingbirds, Canada Geese.

We stopped at Dardanelle Lock and Dam on the way back and ran into the Nichols. La Donna spotted the Lesser Black-backed Gull coming in for a landing and Kenny got it in the scope so we could see it. We also saw a very long, about 7 “, black centipede with orange legs and a red head and red tips on the tail. I’ve seen these before but not that large.

Sunday Nov 3, I had a young male Ruby-throated Hummer visit, I saw it at 8 AM. It stayed about 15-20 minutes and moved on. it was 27 degrees that morning and my handy red light chicken lamp kept the food thawed overnight.

In the back yard I have had a steady stream of DE Juncos, White-throated and White-crowned Sparrows, Titmice, Cardinals, Chickadees, a Red-bellied Woodpecker, Carolina Wrens, and House Finches for the last three weeks or so. Also Mourning and Eurasian collared Doves, Red-winged Blackbirds and Common Grackles.

Two weeks ago in Vaughn I drove the dairy circle, I always drive it counter clockwise. the fist time around there was not a whole lot of anything, I drove it again and as I approached the corner of Ginn and Anglin Rd I heard Great-tailed Grackles. there were about 100 and about 50 Red-winged Blackbirds. I always drive that circle 2 or 3 times because things change in a flash around there.

I noticed that on Holloway Rd. that there is some clearing going on. This is on the East end of the road, south side. There is a School being built on the West end of the road, north side.

I am so looking forward to the Christmas bird counts this year. I am also retiring at the end of this year, my last day at work will be Dec 31. So I will be available for random birding trips any day of the week after that. woo-hoo!! I’m also going to be able to resume my birding Camping trips in 2020.

This Sunday I plan to go to Woolsey Wet Prairie.

Jacque Brown
Centerton, AR

Join us on Facebook!