Date: 11/8/19 7:54 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] 11/7 - report from Gloucester yard
Here's a report from a poster in from Gloucester:

Yesterday, November 6th, I saw my first of season white-throated sparrow
in our yard in Gloucester. Last year, for the first time, they stayed
all winter. We had four or six of them. We'll see what happens this year!

Also we have not had red-breasted nuthatches at all. Last year was
unusual in that we had a number of them, and they stayed for several
weeks. I realize it was an irruptive year for red-breasted nuthatches
last year, but still we usually get one or two. This year I have seen
none. Has anyone else noticed a dearth of red-breasted nuthatches? I
always find it interesting when the range maps don't really reflect my
experience. Range maps I have for red-breasted nuthatch say that all of
Massachusetts is a place where they are around all year. But that has
not been my experience.

Last year we also had purple finches. I don't know if it was an
irruptive year for them, but we normally don't get them at the feeder
and last year we had quite a few. None so far this year. But the
white-throated sparrows are always a pleasure.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

Join us on Facebook!