Date: 11/8/19 6:56 am
From: Bill Volkert <billvolkert11...>
Subject: [wisb] Yard Birds
On Monday I added a new species to my yard list, bringing it to 207 birds
sighted around our home I was just outside of the house and as the sun was
setting I heard a tufted titmouse. They nested on our land for two years
and then mostly disappeared for a while. My binoculars were not handy but
I walked over to get a look. At that moment I heard a raspy series of
calls in another direction that reminded me of a Carolina Wren.
I then walked to another clump of trees and got a decent look at the
silhouette of a good-sized wren that perched there around dusk. My wife
had her binoculars in reach and got a brief look. She said that she
noticed a prominent eye-stripe which was all she could see in low light.
The bird moved and called a few more times before disappearing to roost for
the night.

The next evening I again was outdoors and while I was blowing out a water
line I again heard the rapid call of a Carolina wren. Unfortunately, I
again did not have binoculars handy and as I got up to take a look my
compressor kicked in chasing the bird away. While this is not the best
sighting of the species I am confident of what I saw and heard.

This is my first record of this species for the backyard and only the
second record I am aware of for the Northern Kettle Moraine. Earlier this
year I was going through my yard list to see what other potential species I
might add. Carolina wren was my top choice of the most likely species to
show up. There are a few more that may turn up at some time in the future
and you never know what oddities may show up at any time which is what
makes birding so interesting. It is getting harder to add new species to
our yard list but there always is a chance of something unusual that may
turn up in the future.

Bill
FdL Co.

--