Date: 11/8/19 6:20 am
From: William Dix <williamdix...>
Subject: Re: [JERSEYBI] D3000 LENS
Richard,

You've gotten several good suggestions so far. Here are several more options:

Nikon's relatively new 500 PF is sharp, fast, and light enough for hand-holding. It is an excellent birding lens by itself. When paired with a 1.4X teleconverter it extends its reach to 700mm, but loses a bit of AutoFocus speed. I believe it is still in high demand, so you might have to put in an order and wait awhile.

The Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, not unlike Tamron's equivalent length, is another good choice. It gives the advantage of a zoom, and while a bit heavier than the above-mentioned Nikon, it can be used for hand-holding.

I use both with a D500 body. With one or two exceptions, the first fifty images in the "Recent Additions" gallery of my SmugMug site were taken with one or the other of these two lenses, just to give you an idea of their sharpness and speed. https://billdix.smugmug.com/AvianImages/Recent-Additions/

Good luck in your quest.

Bill

Bill Dix
264 Snowden Lane