Date: 11/8/19 1:36 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (07 Nov 2019) 346 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 346 2244 5372

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Dirk Robinson, Gerry Teig, Mike Fowles, Mike Gardner

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (7): Gerry Teig, Mike Gardner, Mike Fowles, Evelyn Fowles, Andy
Urquhart, Dirk Robinson
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Cloudy (70-100% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 14,700 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 43 - 57F, Winds SW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 4-Red-tailed Hawk,
and numerous Black (55) and Turkey Vultures (60).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-4; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-7
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On November 7,
I sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
I stopped at New Garden WTP [private] on the way to Bucktoe this morning
seeing Wood Duck, Northern Shoveler, Ring-necked Ducks, Bufflehead, Ruddy
Ducks, Ring-billed Gull, Merlin, Killdeer, and a pair of late Pectoral
Sandpipers.
<BR><BR>
Once at Bucktoe, Winter Wrens were calling as I parked. I watched a late
Palm Warbler in the feeder snags and around the water feature. My
attention drawn there, I noticed a couple of Ruby-crowned Kinglets darting
around the rocks and plants, nervously twitching as they always do. I am
not a skilled enough writer to explain just how cute these tiny birds are,
attempting to take a bath. They are endlessly interested, their attention
drawn to the fascinating movement of the water. However, I have NEVER seen
them bathe, but there is NOTHING cuter than watching one think about it.
They come in time and again, just over the water and look at it, even get
on the rocks…you know, to get an even closer look, then flit off to
another vantage point to do more of the same. They don’t even extend a
toe into it to sample it. The best I can determine are these Kinglets
thoroughly enjoying the IDEA of a bath, but will dissolve like the Wicked
Witch of the West should they get wet. “I’m melting. I’m
melting….goodbye cruel world!”
<BR><BR>
A surprise was a pair of Vesper Sparrows [see picture] which were together
in a feeder snag. I’ve seen three of this seldom seen species around our
feeders this week; a late date for them, too.
<BR><BR>
Gerry was out and cringed when he heard he was going to be our featured
birder of the week. Cringe not Gerry, the blog master will be gentle!
Mike and Evelyn arrived, followed shortly by Mike, all hoping for the
Vesper Sparrows which I had posted on the internet. The sparrows did not
show, though. Andy and Dirk were out, but missed the sparrow, as well.

<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Ring-billed Gull, Screech Owl, Barred Owl, Horned Larks, Ruby-crowned
Kinglets, Winter Wrens, Vesper Sparrows, White-crowned Sparrows, and Palm
Warbler
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0). Dragonflies (0). Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.67; Steps:
13,305; Floors: 17.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 46; this season:
137
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
Winter Wren.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like it could be great with the passage of a
front, nice background clouds and a stiff northwest wind AND during
November...does it get any better?
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: