Date: 11/7/19 9:32 pm
From: frank lospalluto <fdlospalluto...>
Subject: Re: [RV Birds] Strange merganser - need help
Norm,
I have been seeing a number of weird looking Common Merganser males
molting into breeding plumage up on Hyatt Lake recently.
One way to tell if you definitely have a male Common Merganser is if you
can see the pointed feathering at the base of the bill and the presence of
the hooked nail at the end of the bill. Red-breasted does not show this.

Highly recommend : Sebastien Reeber's *Waterfowl of North America,Europe
and Asia* (Princeton Press)

frank