Date: 11/7/19 3:32 pm
From: DAVID A LEATHERMAN <daleatherman...>
Subject: [cobirds] Larimer miscellany for 5November2019
In addition to the Pacific Loon and Bonaparte's gulls at Hamilton Reservoir mentioned in a message sent from the field around noon, when the water surface fog finally burned off a bit in the nw corner, it revealed 4 White Pelicans (that when mostly obscured by fog I tried to make into swans). Staying with true confessions, I went to Hamilton at last light yesterday afternoon and saw what I thought was a large, sleeping, very pale (think Yellow-billed) "loon". That is mostly why I went back this morning. The "yellow-billed loon", which would have been the second that I know of for this reservoir, was in the same spot on the water, exactly the same spot, and was actually some sort of sunken metal structure. Ted counts Black Swan, I count Metallic Loon. A few American Tree Sparrows were below the overlook in the rabbitbrush.

At North Poudre #4, the Long-tailed Duck immature first found by Rachel over a week ago persists. This private water body also had a good number of Bonaparte's Gulls. Even though they're gulls, I gotta say I like the snappy appearance of winter Bonaparte's. This reservoir had by far the greatest waterfowl density of all the others nearby and merits scrutiny.

The Rusty Blackbird found recently in a flowing ditch near the nw corner of Boxelder #3 (aka Smith Res SWA) remains gone and is presumably gone for good. Reservoir itself was almost waterfowl free, with only 6 Buffleheads.

At its north end North Poudre #3 had about twenty "white" geese, mostly Snows, but also a few Ross's mixed in. Not much else.

Douglas Reservoir was subdued compared to 10 days or so ago, but did have a continuing Common Loon, all three mergansers and a handful of Bonaparte's Gulls. A few American Tree Sparrows were in rabbitbrush and a Merlin sat atop a power pole se of the res near the electrical station and houses.

As a late report from yesterday, there were about 25 Sandhill Cranes e of CR15 with geese in corn stubble just south of CR76.

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins