Date: 11/7/19 3:15 pm
From: Herb and Sarah Myers <hesemyers...>
Subject: New Birds
Today we enjoyed the visit of three new birds for this autumn. Late this
morning, a Winter Wren explored the area where we have our feeders. Shortly
after the wren flew up into the woods, a male Purple Finch landed amongst
the House Finches on our platform feeder.

Late this afternoon, Sarah called, "Come check out this sparrow." She
thought she might have seen a Fox Sparrow. She noted that it was reddish. I
couldn't see anything except White-throated Sparrows for awhile. I assumed
she had seen one of our well-marked Song Sparrows. However, she was right.
I finally found a truly reddish Fox Sparrow scratching below the feeders. I
knew I should trust her!

I was excited on our group's Wednesday morning walk yesterday when we found
a male Red-winged Blackbird along the Tygart River. I thought they had all
gone. I was really excited when we found a lone Brown-headed Cowbird in a
tree on the opposite side of the river - which turned into a Rusty
Blackbird. It had yellow eyes.

That is about enough excitement for two days. Herb Myers, Harman, Randolph
County

Join us on Facebook!