Date: 11/7/19 12:39 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (06 Nov 2019) 214 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 214 1898 5026

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Howard Campbell, John Beitler, Kathleen Pileggi,
Steve Nuttle

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (6): Steve Nuttle, Howard Campbell, Ellen Nunn, John Beitler,
Kathleen Pileggi
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Sunny (0% cloud cover), Ceiling -38,700-30,000 ft., Visibility - 10 miles,
Temps 42 - 54F, Winds NW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 6-Red-tailed Hawk,
and numerous Black (50) and Turkey Vultures (60).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
“Field brew” in hand, I stammered down the trail to the hawk watch to
meet the day. Well, I hadn’t had my coffee, yet. What surprises await
me today, huh? Will it be a strange behavior, a rare species here,
perhaps an especially good view of a beautiful bird? Or will another call
or text come in with a nearby rarity from a distant land? You just have to
love our hobby!! So, what greeted me, you ask? As it turns out, I was
greeted with just a horribly deep blue sky. Our major movement of vultures
continued for just a time in the morning and quickly dwindled to almost
nothing.
<BR><BR>
Howard arrived early with gifts of food; seed for the birds and a bacon
sandwich for moi. [French lessons paying off, Jean-Marie?] Both are of
equal importance. Thanks, Howard! My buddy Steve was out for the first
time this season. I missed you, my friend. Ellen was out with “baked”
apples and a homemade solar oven. The jury is still out on THAT! Kathleen
came with a supply of celebratory pretzels for good finds. Thanks,
everyone!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Belted Kingfishers, Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Brown Creeper, American Pipit,
and White-crowned Sparrows.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (3): Clouded Sulphur, Buckeye,
Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (0). Reptiles & Amphibians (0).
Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, White-tailed
Deer.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.08; Steps:
16,618; Floors: 6.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 41; this season:
136
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
Brown Creeper.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks cloudy with unfavorable light winds as a front
approaches.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: