Date: 11/6/19 3:53 pm
From: Derek C. Richardson <dcr...>
Subject: [MDBirding] American Black Duck x Mallard hybrid?

Hi everyone,

There is a group of ducks that has been hanging out together at Lake
Artemesia (PG County) in the southern portion for weeks now consisting of
a regular adult male Mallard, an all-white domestic Mallard (would that
make it male, or can female domestics look the same? or, more likely, do I
not understand domestics at all?), and a strange bird that to me suggests
an American Black Duck x Mallard hybrid female. I've attached a (poor)
photo of the latter, showing its overall dark appearance, greenish bill,
strange white eyebrow, but also some white in the speculum. I'd like to
get the ID right for eBird, if anyone has any thoughts...?

Thanks!

Derek C. Richardson, Laurel, PG County, MD
http://www.astro.umd.edu/~dcr/personal.html