Date: 11/6/19 2:09 pm
From: David Moon <dmoon...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Plum Island 11-6-2019
Don Cooper and I co-led Joppa Flats Education Center's outing today. We had sunny, crisp fall weather for our trip to Plum Island, with dreams of a shrike dancing in our heads. But it was only that, a dream of seeing the persisting bird near Wardens and North Field, which was spotted by some this morning. The abundant sea ducks we have been seeing were much reduced this week, but we had our first Snow Buntings of the year.

Our list:
Canada Goose (40) - various.
Mute Swan (1) - South Pannes.
American Wigeon (2) - Main Panne.
Mallard (~40) - Bill Forward Pool (BFP) and North Pool.
American Black Duck - common.
Northern Pintail (~ 4+) - Bill Forward Pool.
Green-winged Teal (~20) - BFP.
Common Eider (~ 37) - 2, North End on seal rocks; ~35, Emerson Rocks.
White-winged Scoter (4) - parking lot #7 ocean.
Black Scoter (~35) - parking lot #7 ocean.
Bufflehead (4) - three males and a female,. (Later a flock of ~50 in Merrimack River from Joppa)
Common Goldeneye (1) - parking lot #7 ocean.
Rock Pigeon
Black-bellied Plover (1) - Emmerson Rocks.
Sanderling (15) - Emmerson Rocks.
Dunlin (12 - Maine Panne.
possible Purple Sandpiper (8) - Emmerson Rocks. Dark birds with straight bills, no good looks at legs.
Greater Yellowlegs (~10) - Maine Panne.
Herring Gull - common.
Great Black-backed Gull (2) - parking lot # 7 beach.
Common Loon (1) - Emerson Rocks.
Northern Gannet (7) - Parking lot #7 ocean.
Double-crested Cormorant - common, migrating skeins.
Great Blue Heron (1) - North Marsh.
Great Egret (~12) - 11, South Marsh; 1 North Marsh.
Turkey Vulture (1) - North End.
Northern Harrier (4) - various.
Cooper's Hawk (1) - behind Main Panne.
Bald Eagle (1) - immature bird over Maine Panne.
Red-tailed Hawk (2) - Hellcat.
Downy Woodpecker (1) - Hellcat.
Merlin (1) - Stage Island Pool.
Peregrine Falcon (1) - immature, Hellcat.
Black-capped Chickadee (~6) - Hellcat.
Northern Mockingbird (1) - Hellcat.
European Starling (~30) - PI Bridge.
Snow Bunting (12) - parking lot #7 beach.
Song Sparrow (1) - along road.
Yellow-rumped Warbler (4) - Hellcat.

David Moon
Sanctuary Director
he/him/his
Joppa Flats Education Center
Mass Audubon
1 Plum Island Turnpike
Newburyport, MA 01950
978-462-9998
www.massaudubon.org/joppaflats<http://www.massaudubon.org/joppaflats>

You can't be suspicious of a tree, or accuse a bird or a squirrel of subversion or challenge the ideology of a violet. - Hal Borland

Mass Audubon: Protecting the Nature of Massachusetts. Please consider investing in the work of Joppa Flats by becoming a member<https://secure2.convio.net/mas/site/Donation2;jsessionid=00000000.app274b?df_id=4645&4645.donation=form1&NONCE_TOKEN=87DF451D09EB33BEFB7998B242B18605>. Thank you!

Join us on Facebook!