Date: 11/6/19 10:14 am
From: Deb Hale <debhale72...>
Subject: PVAS bird walk - North Schoolhouse
I am so happy when people actually show up for my bird walks with PVAS. And
this group was great at finding birds, very much a joint effort. We spent a
fair amount of time in the parking lot, where so many birds happen. There
we determined that the four gleaming white bellied birds circling in
migration in the distance were RING-BILLED GULLS; the raptor that had been
circling in a kettle of vultures but pulled off was a NORTHERN HARRIER, as
evidenced by his very long tail and long slender flapping wings. Not far up
the gravel lane, Mark caught sight of a BLUE-HEADED VIREO in the treetops,
very much flushed yellow on his underparts and only allowing us a glimpse
before he disappeared forever. I found the EASTERN TOWHEE exactly where
they've been hanging out. And Mike pointed out the V-formation in the
eastern sky near walk's end - which we assumed at first must be geese, but
turned out to be about 2 dozen DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS.

The butterflies are still flitting about - a few sulphurs and two common
buckeyes. Their days may be numbered. A cold front expected to push through.

Thanks to all participants for a great morning walk.

Deb Hale
Harpers Ferry/Bolivar

35 species

Mourning Dove 1 heard
Ring-billed Gull 4 circling in migration
Double-crested Cormorant 24 About 2 dozen flying SE in V-formation
over Bolivar Heights towards the Shenandoah River. At first we assumed it
was a flock of Canada geese. But quickly we realized that the birds were
shaped more like crosses- even parts front and back divided by wings. Some
front parts appeared white, as juveniles might be.
Black Vulture X
Turkey Vulture X
Northern Harrier 2 We clearly saw one harrier as he departed a kettle
of vultures that had formed over Bolivar Hts; his long tail and long
flapping wings (& size of him) indicated harrier. Then another appeared
with him and they disappeared over the NW trees.
Red-shouldered Hawk 1, juvenile
Red-tailed Hawk 4
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 3 (2 juveniles)
Red-bellied Woodpecker 6
Downy Woodpecker 3
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 4
Eastern Phoebe 1
Blue-headed Vireo 1 We all got to see the bird in the treetop, no
matter how swiftly it disappeared forever. The white spectacle around eye
was evident, also the blue head and white wing bars. The bird was very
heavily imbued with yellow in his underparts.
Blue Jay 5
American Crow 6
Fish Crow 4
Common Raven 2