Date: 11/6/19 8:33 am
From: Nancy L Newfield <nancy...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Two Today - and a Bonus!
Hummingbiders,

A couple of days ago, I posted the following:

On Thursday and Friday of last week our 29-year-old deck was torn down and
> hauled away. This morning, 2 carpenters started work on a new deck with
> all the attendant noise of workmen using hammers and saws. Yet, 2 immature
> male Ruby-throateds are continuing to visit the flowers even though there
> are just as many good flowers in the much quieter front yard.

Yesterday, I observed 2 hummers again in the backyard, nectaring from
Purple Firespike, Salvia 'Margie Griffith', and Stachytarpheta 'Nectarwand
Scarlet' as well as from the invasive red morningglory. One was a
Ruby-throated and I was not able to determine if it was a holdover from the
previous day. The second hummer was a female Rufous/Allen's Selasphorus -
species not determinable. They came in 12-15 feet from the workmen.

This morning, I again saw an immature male Ruby-throated and he chased
another hummer before I was able to get more than a glimpse. Additionally,
I noted an Eastern Screech-Owl in the nest/roost box about the same
distance from the deck-in-progress. Every so often, I see a Strigiform
face look out and scowl down at the carpenters. He or she doesn't like the
sounds of the saws, but I hope the new avian bathing facilities will meet
with approval!

*Iron Nan*
--
Nancy L Newfield