Date: 11/6/19 3:58 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (05 Nov 2019) 355 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 355 1684 4812

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Depalma, Carol Majors, Gerry Teig

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH & THE LAND CONSERVANCY FOR
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY’S HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Carol Majors, Carol DePalma, Gerry Teig
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Cloudy (70% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 24,900-14,400 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 46 - 61F, Winds SSW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 2-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (60) and Turkey Vultures (60).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-_; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
Black Vultures and Turkey Vultures again filled the air this morning, but
slowly dwindled down through the day. The numbers were still impressive
though. While I stood and watched, a stunning Red Fox sauntered up one
trail, passed directly in front of me and down another trail, as if I
wasn’t even there! A Pine Siskin flew overhead, its raspy, buzzy call
evident. I thought the day’s real birding excitement, as yesterday’s,
would be with large birds in the air overhead. Boy, was I wrong. Little
did I know it would be by a tiny bird just a few miles away…
<BR><BR>
A text came in, followed by more. During the course of the day, a
“birding emergency” was developing with the discovery of a first year
male Anna’s Hummingbird outside of West Chester, coming to a birder’s
feeders. You should leave your hummingbird feeders out through the end of
November for just this reason. In case a stray vagrant should happen by
needing a food source; with the flowers all but gone and insects quickly
disappearing [hummingbirds will catch gnats and other small flying
insects]. This is the first County record for this species of western
North America. I’ve seen them in Pennsylvania before, but this fella
will require an emergency trip to see it in Chester County.
<BR><BR>
Gerry arrived at the watch and I informed him of the exciting news. He
lingered a bit and then scurried off to see the hummingbird a scant 10
miles away. I shared the news with Carol M. and Carol D. as they arrived.
<BR><BR>
I myself, left for the Anna’s Hummingbird right at 3pm when the hawk
watch ended. Lois, the homeowner, was all ready for visitors, with a
sign-in sheet for those coming to see her “visitor.” Birders from near
and far were arriving; we shared excited talk while we waited. In about 20
minutes the little gem swung by the hummingbird feeder, landed, and fed at
leisure. [See picture] Voila, A COUNTY LIFER!! Rarities and the chases to
see them are certainly a thrilling aspect of our hobby, aren’t they?
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Belted Kingfisher, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, COMMON RAVEN, Horned Larks,
Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Pine Siskin, and White-crowned Sparrows
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0). Dragonflies (0). Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel,
Red Fox.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.31; Steps:
10,122; Floors: 10.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 44; this season:
135
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):”
none.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks mostly sunny with favorable winds. Will we have
our first Golden Eagle?
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: