Date: 11/6/19 1:58 am
From: robert dodelson <rdodelson...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] cape may whale watch
I had the good fortune to go on a pelagic yesterday sponsored by
www.capemaywhalewatch.com.
The spacious boat (which sold food and drinks on board) left the Utsch
Marine at 1121 Rte 109 C.M. at 6:30AM and returned about 12 hours later.
609 898-0055.
The staff was very pleasant and knowledgeable. For some reason they do not
advertise on the usual birding chats. Not even in Cape May.
A mid October trip had Brown Booby and other goodies. We had no good birds
getting out to the 40 to 45 miles offshore but then our fortune changed
dramatically. Highlights were an adult Franklin Gull giving great close
looks.A big thank you to Daniel Irons for this beauty.
Dozens of Great Shearwaters flying and resting on the water and 3 adult
Pomarine Jaegers. Of course one is always greedy and I personally was none
to pleased about missing Manx, Kittiwake and Fulmar but I generally feel
that way even after a hugely successful Paul Guris led trip.
Several close looks of a Fin backed Whale and 2 Leatherback turtles that
gave us in your face looks rounded out a pretty special journey.
Check out their website.They have one more trip planned for 11/29 this year
Bob Dodelson

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>
List archives: https://lists.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jerseybi