Date: 11/5/19 4:54 pm
From: Dave Compton <davcompton60...>
Subject: Re: [sbcobirding] Carpinteria Rusty Blackbird reports
Hi again everyone,

I should acknowledge that my implied criticism of Ryan for his list was not
particularly fair, and he even describes his route pretty well and
acknowledges that he later realized there was a separate hotspot. So,
apologies to Ryan, and a big thanks to him for finding a really good bird
while he was in town. Ryan's list also described exactly where he found the
blackbird, by the way.

My intended point, by the way, was that people should be mindful about
including birds on an eBird checklist that are well outside the area the
hotspot was intended to represent. An out-of-town birder, of course, will
not necessarily have an easy time figuring out what area a hotspot is
supposed to cover.

Dave Compton

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 3:08 PM Dave Compton via Groups.Io <davcompton60=
<gmail.com...> wrote:

> A Rusty Blackbird is being reported in Carpinteria today. It was first
> included in an eBird checklist for the Carpinteria Salt Marsh Nature Park,
> but the notes say the bird was actually at Carpinteria State Beach at the
> end of Linden.
>
> https://ebird.org/checklist/S61205114
>
> So someone needs an eBird lesson there.
>
> John Callendar subsequently refound the bird at the same location, with
> Brewer's Blackbirds, and watched it fly each to toward Carpinteria Creek
> lagoon. Note that Brewer's Blackbirds often hang out in the campground in
> this area.
>
> I have not seen photos of the bird, so don't know if it's supposed to be a
> male or female.
>
> Dave Compton
> Santa Barbara

View/Reply Online (#29617): https://sbcobirding.groups.io/g/main/message/29617