Date: 11/5/19 4:08 pm
From: Joette Borzik <pep4223...>
Subject: Jefferson County yard highlights
Late this morning, my backyard was teeming with life. A flock of about 40 Cedar Waxwings found the winterberries on one of my bushes. The waxwings were also bathing 7 or 8 at a time in the pond waterfalls, utilizing fallen leaves in the waterfalls to bathe on. They were using the wet leaves like big birdie washcloths.

A Yellow-rumped Warbler, 4 Chipping Sparrows, a group of 5 American Robins, Tufted Titmouse and Carolina Chickadees also joined in the water festivities. The Chipping Sparrows seemed a bit late for my yard, although about 8 years ago, I had one in my yard around Christmas.

Once the pool party was over, a Northern Flicker was on the tree which housed one of 3 owl nest boxes. We are currently housing a gray morph Eastern Screech-owl in that nest box, which has been there the last 3 days. Screechie popped its head out of the box and remained visible for about one hour. A few chickadees were also harrassing the sleepy owl during that time.

In the afternoon, Bruni stopped by, and we both saw 2 Dark-eyed Juncos in my backyard, which were new arrivals and first of the season for both of us. It's nice to have them back.

BIRDMOM
Jefferson County, WV

Join us on Facebook!