Date: 11/5/19 1:19 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (04 Nov 2019) 681 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 681 1329 4457

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Don Manuel, Ellen Nunn, Sue Manuel

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Ellen Nunn, Don Manuel, Sue Manuel
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Sunny (10-25% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 31,400-30,000 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 38 - 58F, Winds SE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 6-Red-tailed Hawk,
and numerous Black (55) and Turkey Vultures (70).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-2; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-1; 4 yr.-1; adult-15
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
Vultures filled the air today over Bucktoe Hawk Watch, with hawks scattered
among them. There were lots of Bald Eagles, too, including 5 adults in the
air at once disputing air space. Birds were everywhere, consistently and
all day long, despite the winds seeing to be wrong. This is a strange
year! Black Vultures definitely seemed to be moving right along with the
Turkey Vultures, so I was again forced to violate my rule of not counting
this species as migrating. And there were lots of them – again, all day
long. Things were exciting on the ground too, with a Vesper Sparrow
feeding on the scattered cracked corn.
<BR><BR>
Ellen was out, again with lunch. Thank you, Ellen! The sky turned a
perfect mix of background high clouds with a delightful contour,
interspersed were patches of blue. I remember saying that if I can’t
find a Golden Eagle in a sky so perfect and filled with so many birds that
I truly must suck! Professional OBSERVERS, Don & Sue showed up – Don
with his new binoculars - and they were needed. They came with a gift of
coffee from Rebecca, their daughter who works for Starbucks. Thanks
Rebecca! When they arrived Don asked how the birding had been.
“Fantastic!” I said, recounting the day.
After going over my list, Don asked, “Any falcons?”
“That’s one family we’ve missed.”
What happened next? Of course, we had all three falcons [that we’re ever
going to see here] stream by, including 2 Merlins close, chasing each other
and then a great look at a Peregrine.
Equally predictable was Don. Don now wanted full-partial credit for the
falcons, even though he hadn’t discovered ANY of them! That’s right,
he wanted the credit for just bringing them up – the mere mention of
them! A full-partial credit thrice removed, if you will. The nerve! Not
going to happen, my friend! NOT GONNA HAPPEN. You have to earn your
“full-partial credits” around here. We run a tight ship! And to prove
it I publicly state right now THAT I SUCK! I found not a single Golden
Eagle with all this activity and great sky. [I still blame it on Don…oh,
and Sue! Just give me some time to think of a reason.]
<BR><BR>
Ellen and I took a late-day walk around the meadow and were rewarded with a
Screech Owl calling. What an incredible day we all had!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Screech Owl, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, COMMON RAVENS, Tree Swallows
[getting late], Ruby-crowned Kinglets, American Pipit, White-crowned
Sparrows, and Vesper Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (1): Buckeye. Dragonflies (0).
Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray
Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.1; Steps:
16,653; Floors: 10.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 49; this season:
135
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):”
none.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks Mostly Cloudy and with winds from the south.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek