Date: 11/4/19 6:23 pm
From: Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Young Snow Goose with adult Ross's Goose Musing - Gwinnett and Fulton Counties - 11/3/2019
Hi All,

I was pretty intrigued when I saw Mark Pellegri's report from the Roswell Riverwalk--Azalea & Willeo Rd. Wetlands eBird hotspot yesterday. The birds looked just like the ones I had just seen at Berkeley Lake in Gwinnett County not quite 11 miles away just upriver! I immediately wondered if they could be the same birds?

Very interesting, and what are the chances of the same such pair at two different sites 11 miles apart in Georgia at virtually the same time? It certainly could happen, and so I wondered about the timing.

Berkeley Lake is only about a quarter of a mile from the Chattahoochee River, which then of course goes to the Roswell Riverwalk--Azalea & Willeo Rd. Wetlands site.

Snow Geese supposedly can fly up to 50 miles per hour, not sure how fast Ross's can go. I image they could cover 11 miles pretty quickly if zooming in a hurry.

These birds dropped down right in front of me into the center of the largest part of Berkeley Lake, in front of the dam, right at 2:46pm. I last saw them at Berkeley Lake at about 3:50pm when they went to the left and became blocked from sight in the northwest corner of the lake near the dam.

A couple of pontoon boats had put in just then, but I left right away before the geese reappeared, maybe they were flushed just after and took off down the river corridor, or more across land.

Jim Hanna and Jeff Sewell tried for the geese at Berkeley Lake this morning but did not see them.

I wonder if the geese dropped in on Mark Pellegri from flight, and also at what time did he first see them?

Very interesting!

---

My 2:44-3:53pm Berkeley Lake report:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S61153654

Mark Pellegri's 4:04-4:55pm report from the Roswell Riverwalk--Azalea & Willeo Rd. Wetlands:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S61157223

---

Good Birding All!

Mark