Date: 11/4/19 7:04 am
From: Joshua Holland <jhollandua...>
Subject: ~100 Am. White Pelicans (Mason)
I pulled into the fish hatchery at Robert C. Byrd Locks & Dam this morning
just before 9am and saw a large flock of sizable white birds rising up from
the river. At first glance I assumed Snow Geese, gulls or Tundra Swans
based on the size at a distance and reports from Ohio birders that swans
were spotted moving south from Lake Erie.

Once I got my bins on the group they were clearly American White Pelicans.
In a panic I reached for my camera and realized I had conveniently
forgotten it at home on the charging adapter. So I began counting the
birds, reached 50 halfway through the flock and scrambled for the scope to
hopefully get some documentation shots.

The birds flew low and steady to the south before I lost sight of them.
This appears to be a new WV high count based on ebird data.

Josh Holland
Huntington, WV

Join us on Facebook!