Date: 11/3/19 7:36 pm
From: Matt Brady <podoces...>
Subject: [LABIRD-L] Golden Eagle repeat + Masked Booby, Cameron Coast
Hello all. Today Oscar Johnson, Eamon Corbett, Marky Mutchler, Matt Jansen,
Paul Conover, and myself led the last field trip of the Yellow Rails and
Rice Festival to the Cameron coast. On the way down, we joked about seeing
yesterday's Golden Eagles again, so it was a bit of a shock when Oscar
actually called out GOLDEN EAGLE at Willow Island! We had views of a single
juvenile floating off to the west at a relatively high speed. Other notable
birds at Willow Island include the continuing SAY'S PHOEBE at the Rec
Center, a CHUCK-WILLS-WIDOW flushed from the oaks, a late WORM-EATING
WARBLER, and an interesting, though poorly seen Oriole.

At Peveto we were shocked to see a MASKED BOOBY fly down the beach as we
were turning in towards the parking area. We quickly pulled up to Little
Florida Beach with enough time to see the Booby flying dead away, east down
the beach. A few participants were able to make it in time to see the
Booby, but unfortunately it did not circle around for everyone to get
looks. Other notable birds at Peveto included a nice selection of late
warblers, such as BAY-BREASTED, BLACKBURNIAN, CHESTNUT-SIDED, HOODED, and
NORTHERN PARULA. Other late migrants included a RED-EYED VIREO, two
BROAD-WINGED HAWKS, at least two YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOOS, and two SCARLET
TANAGERS. Paul also flushed a WHIP-POOR-WILL.

Along Holly Beach we found 4-5 FRANKLIN'S GULLS and a COMMON TERN.

It was another really beautiful day on the Cameron coast, with lots of
birds to keep us interested, and a great way to end another successful
Yellow Rails and Rice Festival.

Matt Brady
Baton Rouge

Join us on Facebook!