Date: 11/3/19 6:17 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bake Oven Knob (03 Nov 2019) 105 Raptors
Bake Oven Knob
2 miles North of Germansville, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 03, 2019

Black Vulture 2 10 209
Turkey Vulture 11 66 825
Osprey 0 1 183
Bald Eagle 13 34 270
Northern Harrier 1 4 32
Sharp-shinned Hawk 15 45 1189
Cooper's Hawk 4 7 142
Northern Goshawk 0 3 4
Red-shouldered Hawk 4 12 29
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 4161
Red-tailed Hawk 50 86 302
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 1 5 20
American Kestrel 0 0 91
Merlin 2 4 34
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 30
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 2 3 72

Total: 105 280 7593

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:15:00
Total observation time: 8.25 hours

Official Counter: Rick Morrissey

Observers: Bob Astleford, Jeff Hopkins, Joe Farkas, Mark Boyd

Visitors:
Longtime birder and comunity advocate Alan Jennings and his wife Denise;
Mr. and Mrs. Keith Reynolds. Also longtime Bake Oven Knob skilled observer
Al Grout. Great meeting you all, seeing Al for the first time this year
and getting a chance to talk with Alan who I have not seen for 25 years.
Time flies, wish more raptors would have flown by when you were all on the
look-out!

Weather:
Sunny in the morning with overcast skies most of the afternoon with clear
skies at the end of the count. The high temperature was 44F, with a low
temperature of 36F at the start of the count. Winds were WNW at 4 to 14
mph.

Raptor Observations:
The day started before any visitors arrived with a 20 minute somewhat
cordial turf battle between a small sharpshin hawk and a Merlin who both
wanted to control the same dead branch perch at the leading edge of the
North look-out. I’d give the point edge to the Merlin, but then two
Pilleated woodpeckers eventully had the Merlin move, and after all that
work! A fairly slow migration day considering the ideal amount and
direction of the winds, which were WNW. There was a late burst of
redtails, 33 of the 50 total, between the hours of 1300 and 1600. The
total eagle count was as expected (14) for this time of year, albeit the
fact that only one Golden Eagle was counted seemed odd. Any day is an
absolutely great day that does not include any lady beetles, stink bugs or
lantern flies, frost can be a good thing. This day of sun and mixed clouds
made it ideal for identifying raptors.

Bald Eagles (13): 0947 (Immature); 0947 (Immature); 1101 (Adult); 1101
(Adult); 1241 (Immature); 1300 (Immature); 1302 (unaged); 1324 (Adult);
1348 (Adult); 1348 (Adult); 1530 (Immature); 1540 (Adult); 1550 (Immature)

Golden Eagles (1): 1431 (Adult)

BTW - The 1550 Bald Eagle "quiged" me today, so I dutifully stayed another
30 minutes hence the 1615 end time for the day (I stayed to 4:20pm although
my binoculars were in my backpack).

Non-raptor Observations:
Golden Crowned Kinglet (1); Pileated Woodpecker (2); Ravens (4); Loon (1);
75 Canada Geese.

Predictions:
Partly to mostly cloudy. High 53F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph with a 10% chance
of precipitation.

Report submitted by Bob Hoopes (<rehoopes...>)
Bake Oven Knob information may be found at:
www.lgnc.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=399

Join us on Facebook!