Date: 11/3/19 5:57 pm
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] BBC Field Trip on NH Coast (3 species of warblers, Lapland Longspur,,6+ species of butterflies)
Thanks to Steve Mirick for this report.

Barbara Volkle
Northborough, MA
<barb620...>

*

From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: BBC Field Trip on NH Coast (3 species of warblers, Lapland
Longspur,
6+ species of butterflies)
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2019 18:59:20 -0500

Jane and I led our annual Brookline Bird Club field trip along the NH
seacoast.

https://www.brooklinebirdclub.org/

Not nearly as many species as last year and generally rather slow for
birding, but we still managed to get some nice birds, and had a great
trip today along the NH coast.  Light to moderate westerly winds and
lots of sun with seasonable temperatures.  A nice fall day!  Still no
major frost yet on the coast and still lots of flowers and a lot of
insect activity.   LOTS of butterflies and a few dragonflies noted.

Birds - 53 Species
------------------------
Brant - 2 migrating birds offshore.
Canada Goose
Green-winged Teal - Flock of 7 over the ocean (landing briefly with
White-winged Scoters!) off Ragged Neck.
Common Eider
Surf Scoter
White-winged Scoter
Black Scoter
Long-tailed Duck
Bufflehead
Red-breasted Merganser
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Black-bellied Plover
Semipalmated Plover
Greater Yellowlegs
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Red-throated Loon
Common Loon
Northern Gannet
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
GREAT EGRET - 2 lingering birds at Philbrick Marsh.
Northern Harrier - One at Hampton Beach SP.
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk - Lots along the coast.
Downy Woodpecker
Merlin - 1 at Eel Pond.
Blue Jay
American Crow
Horned Lark - Small flock at Hampton Beach SP.
Black-capped Chickadee
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
Eastern Bluebird
European Starling
House Sparrow
House Finch
American Goldfinch
LAPLAND LONGSPUR - 1 seen well by all at Hampton Beach State Park with
flock of Horned Larks.
Chipping Sparrow - 1 at Goss Farm in Rye.
Savannah Sparrow - Including 2 "Ipswich Sparrows" at Hampton Beach SP
and one at Ragged Neck.
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird - Odd female in American Beach Grass at Hampton
Beach SP.
PALM WARLBER - 1 "western" type Palm in the short grasses at Ragged Neck
in Rye.
PINE WARBLER - 1 relatively bright male in gardens at Goss Farm.
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Northern Cardinal

Butterflies (6+ species)
--------------
Cabbage White - 1 at Ragged Neck
Clouded/Orange Sulphur - 1 at Goss Farm and 1 at Odiorne.
Monarch - 10 (!!) estimated for the day with some migrating along the
shoreline.
Question Mark  - 2+ plus another anglewing sp. possibly an Eastern Comma.
Red Admiral - 1 in apples at Goss Farm.
American Lady - At least 2 clearly Americans.  A 3rd possible Painted Lady.

Dragonflies (2+ species)
Common Green Darner - 1 at Goss Farm
Possibly Mosaic Darner - 1 at Goss Farm
Autumn Meadowhawk - Several including pairs in tandem.

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA

Join us on Facebook!