Date: 11/3/19 1:16 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (02 Nov 2019) 191 Raptors

CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (2): Gerry Teig
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Sunny (10% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 31,400-30,000 ft., Visibility - 10
miles, Temps 33 - 52F, Winds WNW/S @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 3-Red-tailed Hawk,
and numerous Black (35) and Turkey Vultures (62).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On October 31,
I sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
This morning it felt as though we were on the cusp of winter; frost on the
van windows, a glaze of ice on the water feature, and a shivering counter
dressed in thermal underwear [well, NOT JUST]. Hey, it’s all part of the
fun of hawk watching in November, right? What am I complaining about? I
had warm “field brew” in my hands.
<BR><BR>
Gerry joined me watching this devastatingly blue sky. At about 1pm, a
Great Horned Owl began calling from the woods to our north. Barred Owls
call during the day all the time around here, but this is a rare thing for
Great Horned Owls. Also rare were 4 species of butterflies on a cold
November day, including Common Checkered Skipper.
<BR><BR>
As “quitting time” neared and just after a couple of COMMON RAVENS flew
over, a migrating flock of geese came by; Canada, but among them a single
blue morph Snow Goose.
<BR><BR>
On the way home, I stopped by New Garden WTP [private], seeing Tree
Swallows, Green-winged Teal, Ring-necked Ducks, Ruddy Ducks, and Killdeer.
Tonight, I get to sleep in for an extra hour…woo-hoo!
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Snow Goose, Great Horned Owl, Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers, COMMON RAVENS,
Horned Larks, Ruby=crowned Kinglets, Hermit Thrushes, White-crowned
Sparrows, Palm warblers, and Pine Siskin
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (4): Orange Sulphur, Common
Checkered Skipper, Buckeye, Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (1): Green
Darner. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail,
Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 7.52; Steps:
17,637; Floors: 12.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 47; this season:
133
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Snow
Goose.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks Sunny and cold, with brisk winds from the WNW.
Could be good!
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: