Date: 11/2/19 8:10 pm
From: <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Hagg Lake HARLE?
Hi -

I agree with Lars' statement about single photos.

However, this one looks a lot more like a Harlequin than a Surf Scoter. First, the bill appears small and the forehead steep. Second, the pattern of big vertically oriented whitish spot forward and small round spot back on the face fits female Harlequin better than scoter.

Harlequins do have a blue-gray bill, but in females it often appears darker than in males.

As Lars described, a few Harlequins have nested in Tillamook Co. rivers, but most of the nesting in the lower 48 is further inland, in the Cascades, and particularly in the Rockies. Those birds migrate pretty much east-west to the coast (and to the Salish Sea). I would think a bird showing up on an inland lake or stream in Oregon in fall would be enroute from a more inland breeding area.

Wayne