Date: 11/2/19 2:57 pm
From: Kenneth Phifer <phiferk...>
Subject: [Umpqua Birds] Birding Ford Pond
Spent about 3 hrs birding Ford Pond this morning and found a wide variety of birds. We found a few Canvasback Ducks in the water near the highway. The most interesting bird took us forever to identify, we about gave up. It was a pale brown bird about 9 inches long with black markings on the tail, wing edge and faint makings around the eye. Finally figured out it was an immature northern Shrike. It was located in the brushy area beyond the pump between the two ponds. In the morning light it looked a pale creamy brown.