Date: 11/1/19 3:39 pm
From: Derek Courtney <derek.dana.courtney...>
Subject: Bufflehead and winter musings
Hi all,

Cheat Lake is now playing host to its first Buffleheads of the season
(along with some Ring-necked Ducks, Ruddy Ducks and Hooded Mergansers). And
as we all know, this means that winter is officially upon us; regardless of
the fact trick-or-treating was ridiculously cancelled for "weather" and
Halloween somehow lingers on for many.

So since we are firmly in the winter season, it is time to look toward some
winter birding activities.

Mountaineer Audubon will be hosting a program on Tuesday, November 12 at
7pm at the Spruce St. Methodist Church in Morgantown. The presentation will
be on the various waterfowl that visit our area during the colder season.

Mountaineer Audubon will also be sponsoring a field trip to the Cheat Lake
area on Saturday, November 23. We meet at 8am at Ruby and Ketchy's; or 7am
for early risers who would like breakfast.

And most importantly, the Morgantown Christmas Bird Count will be held on
Saturday, December 14. Will this be the year we finally reach 100 species
on count day? Who knows, but we could use all the eyes we can get to help
us hit triple digits. There are lots of potentially productive areas that
receive little or no coverage within our count circle on count day. So
please circle the date on your calendars and come out to participate.
Contact compiler extraordinaire LeJay Graffious at <lejaygraffious...>
to be included and get all the latest info.

Information on all of the above (except the Buffleheads) can be found on
the Mountaineer Audubon website: http://mountaineeraudubon.org/. I hope to
see you all at any or all of the upcoming events. Best wishes.

Good birding,
Derek

Join us on Facebook!